The following bilingual (Persian, English) website can be usefull for the Iranian students who are applying to canadian schools:
Explanations from the website developers:
This website contains information regarding applying for and attending graduate schools, specifically for students in Canada and the United States. For many undergraduates, the decision to attend a Graduate school is one that occupies most of their last year and is a difficult one.

It should be noted that while there is no magical guide that would guarantee your acceptance into graduate school, this guide will attempt to concisely give you important tips and information that are essential for successful graduate school applications.

Please note that each university usually has its own set of requirements. This guide only attempts to provide tips and information regarding the components which are most common in all graduate school applications.

posted by Mehrdad at 7:40 PM

As a general rule, all persons, other than Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents, who wish to pursue their studies in the province of Québec, must obtain a Québec Certificate of Acceptance (CAQ) issued by the “Ministère des Relations avec les citoyens et de l’Immigration (commonly called Québec Immigration) and a Study Permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. However, if your course or program of study is six months or less in duration, you are permitted to study in the province of Québec and in Canada without having to apply for a CAQ or Study Permit provided you complete such studies within the authorized period of your stay in Canada.
To read more about CAQ use the following link:
To download the form and read about the procedure of application, use the following link:

After sending your CAQ application form, you can track your status, using the following email:

posted by Mehrdad at 2:58 PM

1: You should try to meet your supervisor as soon as possible if you can. If you manage to do that, he/she would let you know most of what you should do which may be dependent on the department you are from or the program you are doing. You should also ask him/her whether he can provide you with a computer, office space and internet access. Don’t forget to consult him/her about the courses you should take. This is important since the date you arrive may be very near to the deadline for taking the courses and if you can’t meet the deadline, you have to pay an extra charge for each courses and sometimes you can’t take that course at all. This is very important particularly if you want to do Master’s.

2: At McGill website, visit http://www.mcgill.ca/gps/ . This helpful website would give you useful information regarding registration periods and other events. You may find the answer of lots of your question relating awards and scholarship, thesis and non-thesis programs, convocation and graduation, etc there. For more information, search for GRADUATE AND POSTDOCTORAL STUDIES CALENDAR which is a PDF document updated each year. Through this document, you will find a full collection of information such as registration and some other critical deadline you may need. At the moment, (for the academic year 2004-2005), the file is available at : http://upload.mcgill.ca/courses/GPS0405.pdf .

3: During registration period, first of all, you should try to attend James Administration Building which is near the Milton gate of McGill (the gate which opens to the University Street). You should go to the second floor to the office below:

Admissions, Recruitment and Registrar’s Office
James Administration Building
Room 205

In the website below, you can find the office hours and the emails of the persons responsible for helping you regarding different registration affairs:


You must take your CAQ, passport, study permit and your letter of admission with you there. You probably have received also a Permanent Code application form with your package from McGill. If you have not posted that form once you have been in Iran, you should fill that form out and submit that as well. In that office, your photo will be taken and your McGill ID card will be issued on the spot.

If you haven’t received your CAQ once you were in Iran, before doing the above step, you should go to the address below:
383, rue Saint-Jacques, 4th Floor
Montreal (Quebec) H2Y 1N9Phone: (514) 873-2528

with your passport and study permit and the CAQ number you probably have. They will issue your CAQ and then you can attend the office mentioned above in McGill University with other documents mentioned.

4: After you finish your primary registration in James Administration Building, you have to register for the courses you want to take each semester. Generally, when you arrive in McGill, you already have an account in Minerva website which is created for you once your file in the admission committee has been processed. At the moment, the website address is:


where you can login, then go to Students Menu and then click on Registration Menu and there you can start registering for the courses. For any question regarding Minerva, you can use the Minerva student help service available at:


One of the important things is that you should try to contact your department graduate secretary who is responsible for helping you registering for the courses. The most tricky thing is that, in some departments, even if you don’t need to take any courses (which is usually the case for PhD programs), you have to register for a code usually named as Confirm Grad Reg. which is to confirm that you have registered as a full-time student. Sometimes the secretary forgets to remind you about that. You should ask him/her if such thing exists in your department and in case it does, ask him/her to give you the code you should enter in Minerva to register for that.

5: If you are supposed to work as a research assistant, you can defer the deadline to pay your tuition fee. To do so, you should attend

Student Accounts OfficeJames Administration Building, Room 301Tel.: 514-398-3900
(for office hours)

You should take your research assistantship letter (which usually your supervisor is supposed to provide you with that) to that office and ask for deferral of your payment.

6: If you arrive in Fall semester, you will be charged for health insurance service fee which composes the regular fee and the dental plan fee automatically (both are obligatory in Quebec). All you should do is that a week after registration, having your McGill ID card, attend the address below :

International Student Services
William & Mary Brown Student Services Building (known as Brown Building)3600 McTavish Street, Room 3215Tel : 514-398-6012

And pick up your Health Insurance card. Try to do it as soon as possible since after a while, not picking up your card may bring a HOLD to your Minerva file which would not let you register for the courses you want.

However, if you arrive in winter semester, you will only be charged for your regular health insurance and as above, you should go and pick up your card in the mentioned address. But regarding the Dental plan (which is optional), you should go to :

Thomson House
3650 McTavish St.
Montreal Qc H3A 1Y2
Tel.: (514) 398-3756

And on the Third floor, you should pay about 300 $ and will have the dental plan insurance. (Don’t forget to have enough cash with you because they don’t accept debit card or credit card).

7: A helpful document for international students is available at:


which is updated each and every academic year.

Finally, don’t forget to visit McGill Persians ,where you can find lots of who would welcome you to join and are ready to help.

 posted by Ali Modarres at 11:13 PM


You can save almost $250 per year by applying for these two awards. They are quite easy to get and almost everybody who applies will get it! Here, you can find more information about Administrative Fee Bursary program and Capital Campaign Fee exemption program. Application forms for these awards are available from the Financial Aid and Awards Office located on the SGW Campus, McConnell Library Building, LB-085, and from the Forms section of the Financial Aid and Awards website. Applications are also available at the Dean of Students Information Centre located on the Loyola campus, AD-121.

  1. Consult your friends to find out if you should buy a monthly pass, a weekly pass or bus tickets. For more information on public transportation in Montreal please see this post.
  2. Contact your supervisor and sign the contract as soon as possible (if you get any financial aid).
  3. Apply to get your permanent code.
  4. Register and get your student ID card at LB 185 (Have your passport available for identification).
  5. Give a copy of your CAQ, study permit or passport to the ISO (For students who begin their program in FALL 2004, the deadline is – September 21, 2004 and for those who begin their program in WINTER 2005, the deadline is – January 17, 2005).
  6. Get your health care card from ISO and add the Dental Plan to your insurance.
  7. Search for an apartment.
  8. Open a bank account and let Payroll Office (ER building, 5th floor) know your acount info.
  9. Get your Social Insurance Number card at the office related to your address.
  10. Get your International Student Identification Card (ISIC).

Société de transport de Montréal (STM), the 15th largest corporation in Québec, is the public transportation company of Montreal. Montreal has an excellent public transportation system based on a network of bus and subway (or Metro, as it is known in Montreal) routes which quickly carry commuters to their destinations.

For any information you want to know about bus and Metro routes and its schedule, you can use STM website. Since its inception in 1997, the number of visitors to this Website has been steadily increasing, reaching 4.3 million in 2002! It’s a respectable number, I think.

Entre deux arrêts (the Between Stops) service is available to women travelling alone on bus routes in the evening, including on nighttime routes. The Between Stops service allows a woman to get off the bus between regular bus stops.

Just one more point about the buses in Montreal. When you want to get off from the rear door, you should open it by yourself! When the bus stops, a green light above the rear door turns on and then depending on the type of the bus, you should either push a touch-sensitive bar or step down on the lower stair to open the rear door. Don’t blame the driver for not openning the door for you 🙂

These are a few temporary residences in Montreal recommended by Concordia University. I haven’t been in any one of them but they should be good.

1. Auberge Alternative du Viex-Montreal, Tel: 282-8069
2. Auberge de Jeunesse Internationale, Tel: 1-800-663-3317843-3317
3. Auberge de la Fontaine, Tel: 597-0166, Address: 1301 Rachel E.
4. Auberge de Paris, Tel: 1-800-567-7217/522-6861, another website
5. A Montreal Oasis, Tel: 935-2313
6. Welcome Bed and Breakfast, Tel: 1-800-227-5897/844-5897
7. YWCA (women only), Tel: 866-9941, Address: 1355 Rene Levesque

Number 2 and 7 are located in very good places for SGW campus of Concordia University. You can find more in this website. Make sure to reserve a temporary residence before your arrival in Montreal.

Located at the downtown of Montreal,Place Lincoln is a twelve-story apartment building of about one hundred units.Each apartment is fully furnished with separate kitchen and bathroom. It’s 2 minutes walk from Concordia.

You can check this phone number:
849-8388,Ms. Wendy
It is a temprory residency in downtown which has good apartments
with suitable prices.
I have used it in my arrival to Montreal for a month.
Best regards,
Amin Mannani

Behzad said…
You can also check this one: http://www.studiosquartierlatin.com/ and